Maxima motor swap begins

unccpathfinder

well as most of yall have prob read my motor did something crazy on me about a month ago and i still think its a broken crank...hopefully i'll discover the answer tomorrow...

but as of tonight i took the 350 block off of the engine stand and put the shortblock of the 86 maxima on it tomorrow morning im going to pull the pan and make sure the oil pump looks good and all that jazz...im kinda going on a budget so im not doing things the easiest way possible heres what im going to do...

tomorrow i plan on pulling my old motor doing all the wonderful steps to get that accomplished...but before that im going to go to the parts store and get the oil pan seal and rear main seal and possible a new oil pump b/c i know its going to take a day or so to get it...then im going to put the short block in my truck since i've gotta wait to go home to get the gasket set (gotta guy at the parts store that hooks me up for at cost)

so i'll put the shortblock in and prob bolt the heads on not to spec tho but to keep moisture out...then go home in a couple weeks and pick up the gasket set (pdq wasnt so quick and didnt get in B4 i came back from break) so then i'll do all the top end work after i get that

but before i get to top end work im going to do clutch and machine my manifolds since the pass side is warped and being a TA in the machine shop this sem will help me out a lot

im prob missing some stuff but i feel i need to get downstairs with the gf cuze shes been so nice tonight...she helped me out with some stuff until she got cold and then went inside and then she made sure she broguht me a fresh beer on the half hour knowing my pace for the evening was about that...but i'll post pix and updates as the project moves on...or lack there of

Edited by unccpathfinder

Good luck! Doing it in stages is probably better for your nerves anyways. Btw...

i need to get downstairs with the gf cuze shes been so nice tonight...she helped me out with some stuff until she got cold and then went inside and then she made sure she broguht me a fresh beer on the half hour knowing my pace for the evening was about that...

She's a keeper, man. :secret:

heck yea man...shes a MEGR like me and loves that crap if it wasnt 20 deg last night she woulda been right there all night long...she was designated air gun operator during assembling the engine hoist...

well we ended up drinkin with some buddies till like 3 so i didnt get my 8 am start in but 10 isnt too bad plus that let it warm up a lil bit...update thru out the day will prob be coming

its almost 2 and i've been on a roll until about an hr and a half ago when 3 of my heat shield bolts were rustd off and i had to grind and eventually tin snip the driver side off...intake is pulled and exhaust is unbolted but the gf just showed up cooked me some brawts and fries so imma eat and then pull the heads and see if maybe my noise was top end and if not onto starting the pulling operation...then i gotta get cleaned up a lil so we can go to the monster trucks tonight

more updates and pix to come

sanity and my back killing me...i got the heads pulled and found something that was very interesting...a tiny piece of metal had hit the head in a couple place and welded to the piston...but it was on the driver side and all the noise was coming from pass side and bottom end...but heres the pix of the piston and head...

im going to go ahead and try finish pulling the motor tomorrow on a fresh back

2050078_28_full.jpg

2050078_29_full.jpg

Edited by unccpathfinder

well today was a very unsuccessful day...torsion bars gave me hell as well as the exhaust front tube (impossible to break loose)...also i think heman bolted on my rear driveshaft b/c the airgun wouldnt break it loose after an hr of soaking in wd41 so me and a buddy used 2 breaker bars to break each 1 loose...so we got the motor and tranny unbolted and a buddy helping me agreed with me in thinking u didnt have to drop the diff to pull the motor which i was going to do since the bible says so but he was like nah its fine so not only did it make some bolts hard to get to it also stopped the oil pan from lifting out so the motor wouldnt come out..so after many loud obsenities we called it a night

tomorrow after my 2 classes im skipping out on work coming home unhooking the front propeller shafts and dropping the diff to lift out the motor and if we have time im going to drop the tranny and roll it into the garage b/c it will prob be next weekend B4 i can attack this thing again and dont want moisture to get to it too bad

I just pulled mine and was able to without dropping the diff... You need to get the tranny to move far enough back to allow you to get a wrench in there and unbolt the clutch pressure plate.

After that it came out easy for me. :aok:

yea well we thought that but after the big ole mishap i said we're boing by the book... esp cuze i cant drop the tranny yet due to those stupid exhaust bolts and really it seems like it'd be faster to do the propeller shafts and diff but it'll be a pain to get back up there but we'll cross that bridge later haha...

this has been a learning experience but if it goes in and works i think i can do about anything...im have faith in my mechanics but am really cautions and hesitant about doing things i've never done b4 but this time i really dont have any mentors cept yall folks and my bank wont allow some1 else to do it so im off to attempt it but i think it'll all work out in the end

alright well yest. i got the motor out along with the tranny, transfer case, and front diff...so i havent torn down the motor yet but my theory is from the pic where #4 has visible damage to the piston and head i belive it flattened (so i got the hammering noise) the rodbearing for #4 which would be on the pass side of the motor when the crank is BDC for #4 and i also found some metal in the mesh on the oil pickup

but anyways i'll post a couple pix of the operation

got the maxima motor up here and took the intake off and realized b4 i got it from the yard to check to make sure all the plugs were in...with my luck 3 were out...since the 86 maxima has the same heads as the 87 pathy i didnt have to pull them but since those plugs were out i did to make sure nothing was in the cylinder...im glad i did cuze there was some trash in there but no rust (very pleased with this) so heres the maxima torn down on the stand with the pile of maxima parts

2050078_39_full.jpg

2050078_37_full.jpg

2050078_40_full.jpg

then started taking my motor down in hopes of finding something top end...not the case i posted the damage found earlier and talked about it so here are some pix of taking her apart

2050078_36_full.jpg

2050078_38_full.jpg

2050078_34_full.jpg

Finally got the tranny front diff out of the way and the motor out and everything halfway orginized in the garage

2050078_31_full.jpg

2050078_32_full.jpg

2050078_33_full.jpg

im gonna work on getting her all back together this weekend...so more updates will come then but so far everything is swapping over smoothy

well here goes nothing...i hope everything goes a lot better today than last night...the heads were a PITA last night...nothing wanted to work right the spring compressor kept on slipping and all kinds of stuff

a good tip that i foudn was take a socket and hit the spring a good 2 or 3 times to break the collets from the valve spring loose...then i always use a good magnet to pull the collets out...and an easy way to get the cam seal out is to break the rear cam bolt loose and thread it in a bout 3 or so threads and put the socket on it and tap it with a hammer and it'll push the seal out far enough where u can hook it with a screwdriver or pliers and easily pull it out

i'll give an update later on...its been 60 all week and this mornin its 40 this morn with a 25 mph sustained wind with gusts up to like 40...so this should be nice and chilly

got the front axle in as well as the short block b4 it got too terribly windy and cold...tomorow is putting in the tranny/TC and hopefully the heads and intake...i'll take pix of it esp cuze i think i have devised a plan to do it all alone again...i shoulda taken pix today of the axles and motor cuze it involved a jack a come-along and the engine hoist and i cant really explain how i made it all work out but i had a system goin on...but i think tomorrows will be awsome...its gonna involve the engine hoist going thru the pass.side door...

its gonna involve the engine hoist going thru the pass.side door...

That can only describe a bad industrial accident or someone putting their tranny in solo, minus a tranny jack... I vote for the tranny install ! :D Sounds like you are being creative, so please take picts. This stuff is invaluable for ideas and laughs... ;) Best of luck and be safe !

B

This stuff is invaluable for ideas and laughs...  Best of luck and be safe !

ohh yes...i hope it works out as planned...i forgot to take pix of the come along on the hoist with the jack...but yea i dont have a tranny jack and really tight on $ right now so the engine hoist is gonna have to be the ticket...

i helped a guy do a clutch in like a 92 in a parking lot and we used a tow strap thru the doors and down around the tranny with a person on each side to lower it down slowly and lift it back in that way that was crazy...i feel bad for that guy tho cuze he didnt have air tools to help him break some of that exhaust apart

well today just sucked...i forgot to put the back plate on so after getting the clutch flywheel and tranny under the car i realized it so i had to take it all back off and put it all back on...

then i tried my engine hoist idea which was freakin awsome and everything was lined up except i couldnt get the shaft splines to match up and slide all the way in so i was maneuvering it under the truck and keep in mind i told myself dont move the hoist too much or it'll get close to the windshield and this will be bad...well it got close and somehow or another it released some pressure and sure enough the end of the hoist breaks my front glass...so in the process of slinging everything in the garage i busted an air hose luckly i have another 1...so tomorrow im going to go buy a transmission jack windshield and the rest of my parts and hopefully be done with my truck...

i'll post pics of the day later on sometime after i cool off and take them off the camera

but till then football and -alcohol-

DOH !!! That does NOT sound like a good day !! Sorry to hear, I hate it when you screw something up while trying to fix something else... Good idea to back off for the rest of the day.

You can get adaptors that go on your floorjack that turn it into a tranny jack. I've seen them for $30-40. Maybe check that out to save some $ ?? Good luck !

B

Might as well finish the engine hoist idea since the windshield is broken anyways. Or was it simply not going to work at all?

yea thats what the gf said...it was working fine and if the splines would have matched up i woulda been done cracking noises

yea they have the adapters at northern tool for like 40 but well see

and heck yea Go Panthers!

pictures from yest... as you can see i had plenty of room to not hit the glass the way i had it initially set up but i think what happened is i had jacked up the tranny and it was in a bind or up against the frame or something and when i moved it i think the engine hoist jumped up a like 3 ins or so and gave me the awsful crunhing noise

2050078_52_full.jpg

2050078_53_full.jpg

2050078_54_full.jpg

2050078_55_full.jpg

2050078_56_full.jpg