Starter?

Harbinger

Hey all.

Couple days ago I went to move my poor neglected truck over to the new house. Dead battery so I jump start it off the g/f's jetta and go. Go to start it the next day and the batteries dead, so I thow my charger on it.

Go to start it yesterday (gotta show her some love right?) and she cranked, with out starting, so I crank again and all I get is a rapid clicking noise.

Does this mean my starters toast? I didn't have anyone around to help me otherwise I would have tried the hammer trick. :shrug:

Battery has been in the truck since I bought it, doesn't look new by any means.

Has been drawn down to dead twice since I've owned it.

I suppose that would make more sense, it wouldn't charge past 69% when I put the charger on it.

Just have never heard a starter click like that before, and I remember on my old diesel GMC when the starter started going it was drawing an insane amount of amperage.

I've had the machine gun solenoid effect before, and it was due to the battery.

The battery put out just enough voltage to pull the solenoid, but then the current to hold the solenoid closed caused the voltage to drop a bit and release the solenoid, then voltage returned to just enough to pull, then drop. Then pull, then drop.

Repeat 3 times per second and you get the machine gun.

New battery for you!

My rule of thumb based on experience and talking to battery experts: Each time a non-deep cycle wet cell starter battery is drawn to less than 25% charge, you could lose about 30% (more if left discharged for extended period) of the capacity it had before it was drawn down due to sulfation and plate damage. So after 5 or 6 deep discharges, the battery becomes very suspect, regardless of age.

If you want to verify, hook up jumper cables to known good battery again. If it fires normally, you've confirmed.