95 with new thorleys& flowmaster 50 2.5"

MikeV

I know a few of you have these mufflers (Slick for Sure)

Did you guys add extra soundfroofing to the cab? over 65 is deafening me and my stereo. (Does give a good back massage now!) I drive between 65-90 mph on the Freeway going north almost every weekend, Just had Thorleys and flowmaster put on along with a highflow cat. Better gas mileage already and can feel the difference in power but LOUD!

Not changing it but cab is noisy :(

Only my Sub drowns it out and without treble it is noise!

Thanks Guys

MV

:bow:

Edited by MikeVanceinWI

Had a descent shop do it, no leaks as I crawled under yesterday to check; up to about 3500-3750 rpm she is nice sounding then when I get on the Freeway and hit 65 and over in 5th it gets LOUD. And driving slower is not an option :)

Would extending the tailpipe or aiming it directly behind instead of toward the drivers side quiet her. P...

Thanks!!!

:beer:

yeah that's wierd, mine is almost as quiet as the stock setup until you put your foot into it. I don't really get a bad drone on the highway and i'm missing all the sound proofing stuff underneath my rear passanger seats. I don't think moving the pipe straight out the back will make that big of a difference. Do you have one of those k+n air filters? I know they make a little more noise than the stock airbox does.

No K&N yet, still stock as I would drown a K&N with water and mud, I have the same exhaust set-up as yours skilla, and all my soundproofing is gone as I cut the rusted underseat metal out and replaced it. I am going to replace the insulation and see if it helps. Just gets nerve racking after a few hours of driving, it is also at 2500 rpm not 3500 as I previously posted.

Thanks!!

Edited by MikeVanceinWI

You do have it going over the axle, right?

Try changing the length of the pipe by adding a tip. Although Flowmasters do have harmonic resonances by design, it should not be THAT loud. I'm thinkin maybe the length of pipe after the muffler has the same resonant frequency as the muffler so it amplifies the problem.

If that doesn't work, you may end up being a Flowmaster un-fan like me. I prefer Dynomax.

yeah. at 65 mine is audible but by no means anywhere near deafening. and i have my pipe comin out under the body pointing downward........

i don't drive over 65 so i wouldn't know what volume you're getting but it seems awfully loud..... and if slowing down is not an option... i suggest you get a bigger stereo :D:P

yeah. at 65 mine is audible but by no means anywhere near deafening. and i have my pipe comin out under the body pointing downward........

i don't drive over 65 so i wouldn't know what volume you're getting but it seems awfully loud..... and if slowing down is not an option... i suggest you get a bigger stereo :D:P

Do they make subs for treble? :D

I'm going to aim it down as yesterday on the way home I was in the middle lane and it was quieter, My exhaust comes out at the back and is pointed toward the divider wall of the freeway, so hopefully it is just bouncing off the wall? If that doesn't work I'll get those bose headphones that cut out backround noise! ;)

Helicopter headset maybe?

I'll let ya know!

Thanks Again!

MV

The echo off the divider wall could be all thats causing it.

When I had a 4" straight pipe on my old GMC 6.5TD it was really quiet (for a straight pipe) up untill the end of the exhaust was pointed torward a mountain side or similar object, then you couldn't hear siht.

The echo off the divider wall could be all thats causing it.

ooh yeah. i LOVE being next to the walls.. sounds so wicked good.. mmm.... oh. sorry. yeah. if the pipe is pointing at the wall. yer gunna hear it ....

here's how i have mine set up

ViewofNewExhaust.jpg

Like MWS says, I bet you hit the resonance frequency of your engine and exhaust system. I'm there at 2500-2800 RPM's with stock pipes and a Flowmaster 40. The sound suddenly increases almost double with a blatty sound, but it would depend on your set-up as to what you hit. The walls/mountains on the side would add tons as well. Maybe a combo of different exhaust exit location, length, and/or muffler would solve it.

• 3 weeks later...

Just did a 3" suspension lift and the sound is "gone"

It's a total different ride with the quiet cab and rancho 9000's and 3" lift springs from 4x4parts.com. :cool2:

I would recommend the flowmaster 50 (2.5") and the highflow cat for sure.

Just following up; my rear spring sag kept the exhaust much closer to the ground and much louder echo off the pavement. Love it now, not loud inside at all.

Thanks again guys(and gal!)

Mike

i still have dynamat on the floor of the cab.. but these vehicles are loud no matter what.. road noise etc. good you got the noise to a tolerable level.. i also have the thorleys and 2.5" pipe. when ilet off the gas i have this intense grumling sound that shakes the floor of the cab.. they say it's normal but i don't know.. it's pretty intense