Muffin fan - where to get locally?

mws

I need a 115 volt 4" muffin fan or two to ventilate the wine cabinet enclosure. Any ideas where I could find one in my town? Chico has about 85K people, so it's at best a large town. I checked a couple hardware stores, but they don't carry them.

What about the fans in PC power supplies? Are the 115 volt or 12 volt?

I've seen those available on some websites before, will have to see if I can find them.

But if you can find an old AT computer PSU you could just use that and a few 80mm 12v fans. Computer fans are a lot cheaper too. Thats if you don't mind the PSU sitting in there ;) I did this to add a fan to a terrarium hood once, worked like a charm.

My challenge is that I am adding this fan to the chiller controller, which has a 115V output for the two existing fans. I have no idea what the current capacity of the output channel is, so I want to keep the load as low as possible.

It is currently feeding 2 muffin fans at .17 A each, and I am assuming it can handle one more at .17 A as it would be bad form to engineer the stock unit with no safety factor. Adding 50% load should be OK unless the original engineering was really shoddy.

The other challenge? I need it by tomorrow! My wife wants the wine in the cabinet before house guests show up for the holidays. And once that cabinet is full, it will be impossible to roll out to install the fans.

Radio Shack has one in stock - $24.95 and it looks like a really cheezy one. I can get ball bearinged versions from MCM or Mouse for 1/2 that but would have to wait.

Any other local shops you can think of that might stock? Best Buy?

SCORE! I checked with our maintenance guy - we keep some in stock in our crib for the PLC's on our molders!

A beautiful die cast aluminum (frame and blades) ball bearing continuous duty fan, 18 watt, $22. I "borrowed" one and will pay for a replacement the next time we place an order. :aok:

Now to figure out the duct.... I can not access from above, so it has to mount from below... Off to the hardware store!