Will I have problems towing this...?

MaximumHP

Hi all,

I'm moving this weekend and would like to get this U-Haul trailer (impossible to find in my area at the moment). I have to travel a pretty good distance with it, interstate and such and wondering if it's a good idea to be pulling this, especially full. On a good note I just had my tranny re-built, but on the other I don't want to burn up my new tranny either (auto obviously). They say max load is 2600 for the trailer, but seems like it could pretty easily be over that when filled. I have some pretty heavy stuff to move.

Trailer I plan to get here:

don't overload the trailer (which is pretty hard to do unless you load it with marble slabs) and you'll be fine. i work for u haul and drag our RV's (6x12) trailers around with my pathy all the time :D

the trailers have brakes, so they're real nice to tow. double axle so they "trail" nice too.

do you have a tranny cooler?

keep the rpm's up a bit when towing too, major no no is to lug yer truck while towing. don't use o/d.

the trailer itself only weighs 1500lbs ;)

**also!** you will need "4-flat wiring" to tow our trailers. make sure you have this, or at leasy an adapter. there's nothing more annoying for me than someone who comes in and has NO wiring... uhh...dude. how u tink da lights gunna work on da trailer? :blink:

Edited by Slick

OK thanks slick. I "had" a tranny cooler, but when it was re-built they would only do it "as original" to get the warranty (which is dumb since having the cooler is better anyway). I didn't want them putting it through the radiator with all the gunk built up, but did clean up the radiator up very well. I haven't gotten around to installing a new one yet because it's winter, and I'm moving. Doesn't take long though, so I could put one on tomorrow I suppose.

Yeah, I'll keep it out of overdrive, and I do have the flat style connector for the lights and a class 3 hitch. I may take country roads rather than the interstate, so I can go 60 and not slow everyone up, rather than the 80 most people are doing on the interstate.

I would absolutely install the BIGGEST tranny cooler you can find, and a transmission temp gauge would be verrrrry wise.

Other than that, you should be OK as long as you keep in mind everything is getting worked very hard. The cooler temperatures of winter will work in your favor.

advice from a highway designer - stick to the interstate.

the country roads may have less traffic, but they are not as safe for long distance driving. you will no doubt find sharper curves, steeper grades, and much worse pavement conditions. and if it decides to snow (not sure where you live), the conditions get even worse much faster than the interstate (higher traffic volume helps to keep roads clear).

dont sacifice your safety so that other clowns can break the law!