Evap Canister Problem

Guest Jolly

Guest Jolly

Hey there... New to the forum, and I'm looking for some advice! I've got a 1997 Pathy that I drove from Las Vegas down the length of Baja and back. Great trip, but on the way back, during a two day stretch of fairly rough and remote dirt road along the shores of the sea of Cortez my "service engine soon" light came on. On returning to Vegas I took it to the dealer who told me the Evap Canister was bad, and that carbon pellets had potentially gotten into the associated valves, namely the vent valve, purge valve, and two purge control valves. They then quoted me almost $1000 to replace these parts. I am quickly learning how much B.S. dealership prices are, and have decided that I can replace the canister no problem and I have a sneaky suspicion that if I inspect the valves and clean them out a bit they'll be fine rather then buying brand new ones from the dealer at $100-200 a pop... So here's my problem... The Haynes manual covers the evap cannister in fair enough detail, but does not address the location/proper names of the valves involved in the EVAP system. I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction or if anyone has dealt with this problem before? Thanks in advance for the assistance, and despite this hassle, the Baja trip was well worth it and I highly reccomend taking your Pathfinders south of the border for some exploring and off-roading fun! Out here... :beer:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jolly

Thanks, I also found a complete vacuum system schematic on the underside of the hood next to the VECI sticker. I'm working on trouble shooting the valves now!