International Women's Day

Iron Locust

International Women's Day (IWD) is marked on 8 March every year. It is a major day of global celebration for the economic, political and social achievements of women. Started as a political event, the holiday blended in the culture of many countries (primarily Russia and the countries of former Soviet bloc).

In some celebrations, the day lost its political flavour, and became simply an occasion for men to express their love to the women around them - somewhat similar to Western Mother's Day and St Valentine's Day mixed together. In others, however, the political and human rights theme as designated by the United Nations runs strong, and political and social awareness of the struggles of women worldwide are brought out and examined in a hopeful manner.

The IWD is also celebrated as the first spring holiday, as in the listed countries the first day of March is considered the first day of the spring season....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Women%27s_Day

All harmony, all marvel, she,

Above the world and passionless:

She rests serene shamefastedly

In her triumphant loveliness;

She looks around her left and right:

She has no rival and no peer;

The beauties of our pallid sphere

Have vanished in her blinding light.

A.S. Pushkin

give_heart.gif

Aren't you supposed to be in the kitchen?

he he :hide: j/k

*Goes to the kitchen, gets heavy frying pan, hold in swinging position...*

hmmm??? what were you asking?

Huh? How about INHMD?

International Nagged, Harassed Man's Day? Won't someone bring OUR plight to light ??

:D

B

No problems :rolleyes:

Defender of the Fatherland Day (Russian: День защитника Отечества / Dyen' zashchitnika Otechestva) is a holiday observed in Russia and many former Soviet republics. It is celebrated on February 23.

The holiday marks the date in 1918 during the Russian Civil War when the first mass draft into the Red Army occured in Petrograd and Moscow. It was originally known as Red Army Day (Russian: День Красной Армии / Dyen' Krasnoy Armii). In 1949, it was renamed Soviet Army and Navy Day (Russian: День Советской Армии и Военно-Морского флота / Dyen' Sovyetskoy Armii i Voyenno-Morskogo flota). Following the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991, the holiday was given its current name.

As the name suggests, the holiday celebrates the soldiers of the Russian military, but it has also more recently come to include the celebration of men as a whole, and to act as a counterpart of International Women's Day on March 8. The holiday is celebrated with parades and processions in honor of veterans, and women also give small gifts to the Russian men in their lives, especially a boyfriend or husband.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defender_of_the_Fatherland_Day

*smacks B in the back of the head*

LOWER, LOWER!!!! :D

A sandwhich

And a beer since you are up... ;)

I do like the idea of man/woman day rather than mothers/fathers day...

B

Pezzy Posted on Mar 8 2007, 01:22 PM

*opens can of Alpo*

When did you get a Dog???

*reminds me of a scene from Road Warrior... Mad Max...

And if I had to, Stomach>Brain....

*Scrolls back to see who dragged us off the Womans day Subject..... B

Should have known....

*Wonders if Red will give B that funny email....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, it's all my fault and you took no part of it... :rolleyes:

No need to get defensive about a polite request.

Feel free to delete this post... Thanks Casey.

B

Edited by Precise1

:huh::nono: shame on you boys, jealous perhaps there's not a "lazy man's do nothing day"? oh wait..... you do that everyday anyway....... my bad. :P meow!

lol...... anyhoo.. vurry interesting IL :cool2: