Auto Trans Manual Lockup Mod

Greenbushy

For any one interested i have come up with a mod to manually control lockup in 2nd and 3rd gears , which is really helpfull for mainly climbing steep hills in 3rd gear ( wont work in 1st or reverse without valve body modifcation ). Now this is not a mod for everyone because if you leave the convertor in lockup it will stall the engine if you come to a stop ( just like a manual and not disengageing the clutch). But it is a worthy mod for people in hilly country to lockup in 3rd gear while climbing hills eliminating convertor slipage. Its not really for around town driving. The mod involves the use of 2 relays, some wire, and a switch for in the cab (prefibably an iluminated switch to remind you that lockup is in manual). When the switch is off lockup works as normal. If anyone is intersted in this mod let me know and i will explain the wiring method .

Greenbushy...

Ok take 2 relays and label one C for computer, the other S for switch. Provide battery positive (fused) to terminal 30 on both relays. Provide a good earth to terminal 85 on both relays. Cut the blue wire on the brown plug leading to the transmission ( See Diesel Boys post "Cool and easy trans mod" ) to help find this plug. From the cut wire connect the side from the computer to terminal 86 on the relay marked C. Position a switch inside the cab (prefribably an illuminated switch) i mounted my switch on the trans shift console. To this swich run a fused positive supply. Connect the on side of the switch to terminal 86 on the relay marked S. ( You will need to run a earth to this switch if its is illuminated ) Connect terminal 87 on both relays to the cut blue wire running to the transmission. Done....

Now this is my experiances with this, (Diesel Terrano), i find to not use manual lockup around town, i use 3rd gear in lockup when climbing hills where 4th is too high and for cruising thru towns at around 70km/h. Remeber this will stall youre engine if you leave manual lockup switched on when coming to a stop. I havent really noticed any differance in engine braking with lockup off or on. Also on a transmission realated topic i have found that adjustment of the potentiometer on top of the fuel pump can have marked affect on how well the trans shifts gear, I have experiments with various psitions of adjustment and have finally found the sweet spot of adjustment for smooth positive changes, i have found that adjustment of the potentometer is very fine and it took me a while to find the right spot for my Terrano. I hope this is of some help everyone interested in this topic.

Greenbushy...

So...you have two relays providing 12VDC to the transmission end of the blue wire, one of which is the computer, (which normally provides power for standard operation in the first place) and another is the switch, which is allowing you to turn it on and off. Why the two relays? The only one in your setup that's allowing you to turn the lockup on and off is the switched one. Doesn't the relay with the computer feeding it override your preference anyway with the way it's set up?

Well i use 2 relays because i dont want power backfeeding to the computer when using manual lockup, power backfeeding to computer may or maynot damage computer but i don't want find out hence the adition of the 2nd relay Mr 88 or didn't you think of that do it what ever way you want but thats the way ive done it...

That's a good point, and you don't have to get defensive about it. I wasn't attacking you or anything, just asking a question based on the way I was interpreting the way you did it. It works, that's what matters, and that's a solid and safe way to do it. Good work.

Thankyou 88 for encouraging comment, It is a real improvement to the my Terrano, We have many steep hills in my area and climbing these hills in 3rd lockup is a real improvement i notice the extra power tranfered to the rear wheels due to the convertor not slipping...

Greenbushy