Issues with tachometer and fuel gauges.

Harbinger

So - I bought my 95, and it came with a fuel gauge that wasn't reading correctly, and a tachometer that was bouncing all over the place.

B was kind enough to send me replacement units from his parts truck. I just got them installed today. Which leads me to this:

No results from the fuel gauge, and the tach sits dead still, instead of bouncing all over the place.

All the connections are tight. No fuses are blown. I've noticed some holes in rear of the assembly that have no screws? Also the back plastic with the solder connections isn't flat, could it have warped and severed some connections?

I've heard about the voltage regulator going out, but much like B, I'm not that friendly with electrons.

No results from the fuel gauge, and the tach sits dead still, instead of bouncing all over the place.

So the fuel gauge registers the same level?? If so, that makes me wonder about the sender unit.

Nothing at all out of the tach, eh?? It 'came back to life' in my parts truck but either that was a fluke or it didn't like being shipped (I tried to pack them as good as possible). Barring other things, leave it in for a bit and see if it ever registers. Other than that, I can't help you much more... :shrug:

B

So the fuel gauge registers the same level?? If so, that makes me wonder about the sender unit.

Nothing at all out of the tach, eh?? It 'came back to life' in my parts truck but either that was a fluke or it didn't like being shipped (I tried to pack them as good as possible). Barring other things, leave it in for a bit and see if it ever registers. Other than that, I can't help you much more... :shrug:

B

Yeah I'm leaving them in for now. I'll fill 'er up and see if the fuel gauge changes at all. Could very well be the sending unit.

The tach was at 0, but after driving to work today it sat at 3K for the rest of the trip. :shrug: At least it's not bouncing all over the place? :D

Time will tell I suppose. Will have to rip into it more once I'm done with this acursed move.

Sounds like a circuit board problem but could be two seperate problems:

Bad Tachometer and bad sender unit.

Thus changing out the printed circuit board wont change anything.

A few other random thoughts:

If you fill the fuel tank up and the level doesnt change try jumping on the rear bumper a few times to shake the vehicle around. See if the gauge starts to move then.

The distributor sends signal directly to the tachometer. Make sure the harness/connector to the distributor is not corroded/damaged.

Are you sure the harness connectors on the back of the instrument cluster were pushed and 'snapped' in all the way?