Steering Wheel Problem

TeenZombie

When I first got my car it had a little over 108k and I did not notice this, now I have around 109,220 and whenever I turn the steering wheel in either direction it makes like a scraping noise and it just is not completely smoothe. It sounds like it is coming from inside the car and I am sure it is considering that I can feel it scraping.

Is this common?

How can I fix it?

Do you even know what the hell I am talking about?

Edited by TeenZombie01

No not just all the way, I am talking just like turning the corner. Turning the steering wheel at all and I hear this noise. Even if you are right which I am sure you are, is this anything to worry about and can I fix it?

Edited by TeenZombie01

Have someone that knows what they're looking at inspect your steering components and front suspension. A lot of things can make a scraping vibration or noise if worn or damaged. It's hard to diagnose any "noise" or "feels like" problems without being able to see it for yourself, you know?

It sounds like your steering wheel is rubbing on your cowl. Have a look at the gap between your cowl and the back of your steering wheel. If there is no gap, that is the problem. What does it mean? It means your steering column has collapsed or the retaining bolts have come loose enabling it to move forward and thus foul with each other.

It sounds like your steering wheel is rubbing on your cowl. Have a look at the gap between your cowl and the back of your steering wheel. If there is no gap, that is the problem. What does it mean? It means your steering column has collapsed or the retaining bolts have come loose enabling it to move forward and thus foul with each other.

WTF!?

That does not sound good at all.

Well from talking to some people this seems to be a common problem and is something that most people just live with.

Unless anyone here has a quick fix for it I see no real reason to get all complicated just to get rid of a little scraping noise.

I'd still get it looked at dude. you steering isn't exactly something you want to neglect... Its about priorities, though I supppose.

> Braking

> Steering

> Propelling

> Handling

> Offroad capability

> Interior Comforts

> Cup holders

> Cargo Space for your groceries.

More or less in that order. Most important to last. occasionally the Offroad capability is swapped into spot number 2, but thats a personaly choice :D

Well from talking to some people this seems to be a common problem and is something that most people just live with.

Unless anyone here has a quick fix for it I see no real reason to get all complicated just to get rid of a little scraping noise.

You may just have to pull the column out a bit and tighten up the retaining bolts. If it goes in too far it can make it harder to turn and for the wheel to find center again.

How would I do that?

I am assuming that what I though it was is the problem? Is it??

There is two ways to do it. Both will mean loosening off the retaining bolts. They are the two bolts under the dash.

1. Get your knees behind the steering wheel and pull HARD. It may not work but it is better than going the hard way first.

2. Remove the shaft from the steering column between the column and the steering box. Setup a bottle jack so that it will push the steering column into the cabin. Keep checking for the gap. Get it to about 5mm and it should be fine. If the column does not seem to move as a whole then it is collapsed. I had to repair mine so use this as a guide. It is a pictorial of what I did.

Edited by Vsicks Pathy

Someone needs to calm down a bit! Take a pill V6. That DEFINITELY doesn't help any.

Teen, in mine, I've had the horn pad sit too low, and rub on the plastic parts of the column, creating a bit of a noise. Maybe it's something as simple as that.

Otherwise (and it's still a good idea regardless) check your PS fluid level, and crawl underneath, and check for leaks in the steering box.

Someone needs to calm down a bit!    Take a pill V6.  That DEFINITELY doesn't help any.

Teen, in mine, I've had the horn pad sit too low, and rub on the plastic parts of the column, creating a bit of a noise.  Maybe it's something as simple as that.

Otherwise (and it's still a good idea regardless) check your PS fluid level, and crawl underneath, and check for leaks in the steering box.

YOU TAKE A PILL!

Richard Cranium! -thnkboutit-

Edited by Vsicks Pathy

My steering pad does seem to be a little out of place, how did you fix that?

Sorry if I am frustrating you V6.

Pull. Mine's held on with clips....... :shrug: