Steering problem

Guest cheezesprobe

Guest cheezesprobe

I have a problem with my 88 pathfinder, obviously or I wouldn't be posting. My pathfinder leaks power steering fluid out of the reservior cap, but oddly it leaks mostly when it is shut off. This problem is leaving me with serious puddles in my driveway, and I really need power steering (33"/12.50"/15" Buckshots aren't helping the problem either) Any help would be appreciated.

Thanx in advance

Chas

I have a problem with my 88 pathfinder, obviously or I wouldn't be posting. My pathfinder leaks power steering fluid out of the reservior cap, but oddly it leaks mostly when it is shut off. This problem is leaving me with serious puddles in my driveway, and I really need power steering (33"/12.50"/15" Buckshots aren't helping the problem either) Any help would be appreciated.

Thanx in advance

Chas

It could be that you are over filling the res. Do you top it up when it is running or when the engine is off?

The Haynes book calls for bleeding if a hose or component is removed or replaced, and MAYBE if there is a leak. But regardless, they call for shutting off the truck for checking the fluid and adding more, then starting it up, cycling the steering etc., and rechecking the level.