Labor for Header Install?

Z_Pilot

I've had the Thorley headers for a while...but the only problem is that they are in my living room :huh:

A manifold stud broke not too long after I bought her, and I was not surprised. Since then, i've aquired the headers, filter re-location kit and the 300zx studs.

I knew the labor would'nt be cheap, but a grand!?! :eek:

The dealership wants just under a grand to install the headers and remove \ replace the studs. They said at least 5 hours a side. I went by two independent exhaust shops and they said "thanks, but no thanks"... they dont want to screw with it.

What did you all pay for a header install \ stud replacement?

Should I try Midas \ Mineke?

Z

why not do it yourself? and yes.. $1,000 is OUTRAGEOUS! my gawd! those who will touch it will try to charge you a fortune.. if it is 100% not possible for you to do the job then take it to an import mechanic who ahs done this... inexperienced places like midas..etc.. could EASSILY make matters worse if they have never extracted a broken stud or done this install before.. good luck.. where r u located? sssh

I might be able to do the job except for the getting the broken stud out of the block...that's definately out of my league :unsure:

Z

if i can do it so can you! any possibility of you being able to pull the motor out? makes the job soo much easier... as for the stud.. there have been several write ups about tools, and extraction methods.. including my own experiences (i had 4 broken studs)..

is your stud still "grabable" or is it snapped off level with the block?

I've had the Thorley headers for a while...but the only problem is that they are in my living room :huh:

A manifold stud broke not too long after I bought her, and I was not surprised. Since then, i've aquired the headers, filter re-location kit and the 300zx studs.

I knew the labor would'nt be cheap, but a grand!?! :eek:

The dealership wants just under a grand to install the headers and remove \ replace the studs. They said at least 5 hours a side. I went by two independent exhaust shops and they said "thanks, but no thanks"... they dont want to screw with it.

What did you all pay for a header install \ stud replacement?

Should I try Midas \ Mineke?

Z

I had mine installed in Mooresville by a performance shop. They charged me something like $240. No leaks as far as I can tell. Really nice guy to deal with. The place is called Performance Auto Care and their number is 704-660-1192. Mooresville isn't too far from you so I'd give them a call.

I had mine installed in Mooresville by a performance shop. They charged me something like $240. No leaks as far as I can tell. Really nice guy to deal with. The place is called Performance Auto Care and their number is 704-660-1192. Mooresville isn't too far from you so I'd give them a call.

Ah-hah

Thanks Wheelman....I'll give them a call. A drive up to Moorsville is definately worth it.

I'll let you know when I make the appointment so you can drop by and see the rig. There is a possibility that it will have to wait until January.

...after thinking about it some more...I might have you do my oil filter re-location kit the same that you did yours before I drop it off.

Thanks for all the replies!

Z

if i can do it so can you! any possibility of you being able to pull the motor out? makes the job soo much easier... as for the stud.. there have been several write ups about tools, and extraction methods.. including my own experiences (i had 4 broken studs)..

is your stud still "grabable" or is it snapped off level with the block?

Slick-

Thanks for the reply.

There is no way for me to do it. I am currently in a temporary living situation. (Renting apartment...no garage, no driveway).

There is no "stubble" or grabable surface.

Z

Even if you could do it, if there is an option of $240 and you're willing, I'd take it in. If you don't have the experience, a place to do it, or decent tools, you'll spend $240 worth of patience and running to the store for tools. There are probably better/easier projects to put your skills to use. I personally am learning that whatever time I am quoted for a project, automatically double it. That way maybe you can suprise yourself. :) By the way, I had studs replaced soon after I bought the Pathy when I lived in my townhouse and had no garage to do the work(and the stock manifolds retained :furious: ) and, including throwing in a Flowmaster, tip, etc., I was looking at $900 for both sides. Oy.

Slick-

Thanks for the reply.

There is no way for me to do it. I am currently in a temporary living situation. (Renting apartment...no garage, no driveway).

There is no "stubble" or grabable surface.

Z

you're welcome Z.. if you were close to me i would have been more than happy to help.. we have a garage a mechanic would envy.. and i have "been there done that" job...lol..

$240 is a good price indeed! as far as the OFRK.. once you get the old filter out.. nice easy install.. just think about where yer gunna mount it up top as you don't want it flapping around loose up there ;) here's where i put mine just for some ideas as far as locations go. GOOD LUCK!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

Meineke: $948

Midas: $918

Nissan: $975

40 minute drive to another city to visit a small shop suggested by a fellow NPORA member: PRICELESS! :cool2:

THANKS WHEELMAN LS1

You saved me about $400 to $500!

He is charging me a little more b/c I asked him to replace all of the manifod studs and to do the oil filter re-location kit as well (where you have yours mounted). Labor = $400

Jeff, owner of Performance Auto Care wanted me to thank you for the word-of-mouth advertisement. I made the appointment for wednesday the 11th.

Z

Cheers to WheelManLS1 :beer::clap::beer::clap::beer::clap:

Edited by Z_Pilot

Yeah, tell Jeff I'm sorry about missing my appointment without calling ahead. Maybe now he'll forgive me.

And he replaced all my studs as well. I guess the oil filter relocation makes that much difference.

Edited by wheelmanLS1

I guess the oil filter relocation makes that much difference.

He probably diddn't charge you enough in the first place. $240 is a steal. I am more than happy to pay an honest price of $400 ... comared to $900+

Z

BTW-

What other kind of work does he do?

I never got around to asking.

Do you think he would do suspension mods and custom exhausts?

Id pay $400 and drive 40 min to have it done.... Make sure Wheel buys you Lunch, Im sure he can get a discount some where :D

lol, i would prolly drive 300 miles for $400 if I were in your shoes B)

He does almost anything. Basic suspension I'd guess he'd do such as swapping in new JGC coil springs or something, ball joints, and other basic mechanics stuff... but he doesn't know more about 4x4's than he does other cars so I don't know if he would do a lift kit or not. I know that he does custom exhaust but unfortunatly he doesn't use a mandrel bender... he uses a controlled-crush bender which is usually what Meineke would use. Since I had my heart set on mandrel-bent I am using another guy in Charlotte... he does good work too. If you need his number I have that as well. I think he charged you more because he after doing mine he realizes how tough it is to put headers on a Pathfinder. He offered to put in my MSD Ignition but then I decided I'd tackle that myself. Overall he's a real great guy to deal with.

Since I had my heart set on mandrel-bent I am using another guy in Charlotte... he does good work too.

Yeah....I have my heart set on a custom mandrel-bent system...

I thought that mandrel-bent piping had to be ordered...

Who is doing your exhaust in Charlotte and how much?

I think I am going to go with a high-flow Spin-Tech cat and muffler.

Z

Rick's muffler. I was getting ready to do this back in October but then a shiny new iPod caught my eye and I spent my money there instead... don't regret it. But I just never got back around to doing it again. So I can't even remember what he quoted me and I can't even find his number anymore. But he's done exhaust on my buddies Silverado and another friend's Jeep. They both highly recommended him. And mandrel pipe does not have to be ordered... stainless steel pipe does which is what I'm doing and then having Rick bend it. Stainless steel lasts longer. www.classictube.com

Edited by wheelmanLS1