muddy interior

FLApathy

ok so i made the mistake of wheelin with the windows down and got a ton of muddy water on the dash and doors, so i was just out there cleaning it right, i got a bucket of water and a sponge and started sponging it off and took some paper towels and started drying it, so i take a look at the paper towels and they are red which is also the color of my dash, so whats up with that, anybody know of a good way to clean it off.....

has the dash been painted or something?? thats odd that its happening if you're not using soap!

I did the same thing a while ago... I used Mr. Clean an a toothbrush, and a rag to clean all the vinyl, and a bistle steam cleaner thingy to do my carpets and seats and stuff... it does a great job, and you truck smells NICE for almost a week straight!.. unless you eat fast food in it, or smoke. Niether of which I ever did in my pathfinder!

might I suggest you start drinking bottled water???

That's pretty odd... How much red is coming off?? no chance it's just red dust from clay or something??

might I suggest you start drinking bottled water???

That's pretty odd... How much red is coming off?? no chance it's just red dust from clay or something??

like if i were to take my hand, put it down on the dash with a paper towel and slide it for like a foot, u would see a red hand print on the paper towel, and no its the same color as the dash and there is no red clay here

Any chance the previous owner (assuming there was one) used some sort of color treatment, vinyl paint, or one of those vinyl patch kits on the dash? That might explain it. AFAIK, it shouldn't just wipe off like that regardless. I've scrubbed mine with no issues.

The previous owner MUST have used some kind of chemical on it, or painted it... or your water is far more toxic than you think. eitherway, I suggest you keep doing what you're doing but start out in a small non visible area and see if it makes a difference in color if you wipe it a lot.

?? weirdness.

well the PO was my sis, and i know she didnt, i was talking to a guy and he said that it was probably just from the sun and age, so i went out there today and wiped it all down, np, i had like a 5 gallon bucket half full and i had to empty it like 5 times cuzz it was so dirty, it will take a while to get it all out

sounds like sun damage to me too, and mine is getting the beginnings of the same problem, especially on the top of the steering wheel. You probably had to wipe until you got down into deeper plastic that had not been sun damaged?

Edited by Crazy Geologist

Same here -- I'm fairly certain if I cleaned all the dirt/mud off my interior my truck would fall apart.

lol.. not sure if mine would fall apart but it would show all the scars.. black is a wonderful "color." in pictures, it looks like it has a showroom shine on it but that couldn't be the furthest from the truth.. B)

sounds like sun/age damage to me as well. I used to have an old datsun car with that maroonish/red interior...and damn, everytime i wiped it down, i'd get some red on the towels. then again, that datsun was in the fam for ages. my old man bought it in guam while he was stationed out there in 81-82, we brought it back to the mainland and it stayed with us in san diego. the dash showed evidence of constant beating from sunlight...looked kind of "ashy" if you will. everytime i see those armor all comercials with the "before and after" scenarios, the "before" part always reminded me of that old datsun hahaha =P