sloppy suspension

Guest paintshop

Guest paintshop

ok guys first things first...i ordered KYB gr-2 gas shocks for the pathy, my question is what else should i have replaced while im down there? i want this thing as comfy as possible and as firm as possible.

what are your thoughts?

PS im looking for an OEM feel im not going to be wheelieing any time soon :beer:

I know a lot of people prefer to run poly bushes in their suspension, but you really wouldn't be tearing into any of that just changing the shocks. :shrug:

I'd say change the shocks and go from there -- after that maybe re-index your torsion bars or swap out the rear coils for something with less sag? (if thats even a problem)

You might want to take a peek at the condition of your compression rods and swaybar bushings, check the tie rods and ball joints for play, that kinda stuff. Just poke around, make a list, and gradually start replacing worn components. If something doesn't seem right, snap a pic and ask away. I guarantee someone here has seen and dealt with it before.

BTW, The compression rods (linking the lower control arm to the frame) wear through if the bushings are spent. A few folks here, myself included, ran around on dangerously worn comp rods before we noticed and replaced them. Worth a look-see while you're there.

BTW, The compression rods (linking the lower control arm to the frame) wear through if the bushings are spent. A few folks here, myself included, ran around on dangerously worn comp rods before we noticed and replaced them. Worth a look-see while you're there.

did they (it) rattle?

Guest paintshop

guys i just changed my rear shocks, but there still a " thud" sound when i hit bump's..any idea's what that thud could be? my next plan is to swap out the springs and put fresh sprinf mounts in

did they (it) rattle?
Yes, when you hit bumps you'll usually hear it knocking around.

guys i just changed my rear shocks, but there still a " thud" sound when i hit bump's..any idea's what that thud could be? my next plan is to swap out the springs and put fresh sprinf mounts in

I'd check to see if the exhaust is maybe hitting something.

Don't forget those nasty rear link bushings. ;)

Most folks complain about wandering when these go, but mine just thuds.

I know they should be replaced. I've had the poly bushings for nearly a year, but I wanted my garage finished first, then I had to help my son-in-law get his Mustang fixed, then it was his sister's Monte Carlo ... I'm not sure what's next. :wacko:

Guest paintshop

guys i just spent some money on MOOG bushings...tell me if i have the right cocktail for a firm suspension

upper control arm bushing kit

part# k9209

lower control arm bushing kit

part# k9546

sway bar link kit rear suspension upper and lower

part# k90038

sway bar link kit front suspension

k9222

sway bar f/m bushing kit front

part# k9582 - front

part# k9969- rear

i dont need you guys to look up part number's lol...just tell me if i have everything i need..

oh i also i have KYB mono for the front and KYB gr-2 for rear

-bounce-

ok, i also heard "thuds" comming from what i thought was my suspension. It turned out to be my spare tire carrier. I had to replace the bushings, and that fixed the sound. I too also thought this was something either contacting in the suspension, or flat out bottoming out (highly unlikely but i thought i would check every possibility). So here is a link from an earlier post about changing out the bushings.

LINK