I shouldn't ask, but I have too

The Drift

So I know the tire question is extremely redundant, but I have gotten a different answer from EVERYONE I know. I figure my best bet is to ask fellow pathy owners.

I have these stock rims (just in chrome)

62334.jpg

Those rims as some of you know are 15x7in. I can't afford new rims right now, and I am stock on suspension. My rig is a 97 SE...I think b/c the registration says XE/SE/LE. If I go with a 30x9.5x15 hos drasitcally will this screw with my daily highway/city driving? I'm thinking that being 2 inches wider than my rim is pretty insane, but I don't know. From an offroad perspective I'm sure it's an awesome setup, but daily driven, will I encounter major problems? And Will I more than obviously have to upgrade my spare as well? Am I better off with a 265/70/15?

Thoughts? Any feedback is appreciated, I've always been a sports car guy.

Really? So you think I could even go to a 31x10.5? I'd be worried if I turned hard or anything. I figured having the dsidewall tapered that much would totally mess up the handling of my truck. I guess It's a good thing I asked. Anyone else able to say about the same as Redpath88?

Would a 30 or 31 render my 235/70/15 spare completely useless? My guess is yeah.

one night i was doing donuts, i blew a bead right of the rim, so i changed it for spare and drove the 2 miles home, the next day i took it to my dads shop and rebeaded the tire, so not really, just as long as u dont drive it like that forever

one night i was doing donuts, i blew a bead right of the rim, so i changed it for spare and drove the 2 miles home, the next day i took it to my dads shop and rebeaded the tire, so not really, just as long as u dont drive it like that forever

Cool. I'll end up putting a 30 on the spare eventually if I do this anyways.

Any downfall to this particular rim/tire size combo? If not, wooo hooo rubber.

Would a 30 or 31 render my 235/70/15 spare completely useless? My guess is yeah.

If you have a LSD then you will stuff your diff up pretty quickly. You can use different size tyres on the front without any issue of causing damage.

Remember, with odd sized and tread pattern tyres that your car will not handle correctly though.

I'd go with 31"s. They'll fit fine on 15"x7" rims and once you lift your truck you'll kick yourself for buying 30"s. I'm not sure, but 31"s may have been a factory option for that year as well so you shouldn't have clearance issues either. If so, the only adverse effect w/ upsizing to 31"s would be gas mileage.

Edited by jj big shoe

I'd go with 31"s. They'll fit fine on 15"x7" rims and once you lift your truck you'll kick yourself for buying 30"s. I'm not sure, but 31"s may have been a factory option for that year as well so you shouldn't have clearance issues either. If so, the only adverse effect w/ upsizing to 31"s would be gas mileage.

How adversly does it affect your gas mileage?

basically..... NO

i have 30's and it's my daily driver.. no problems

HOWEVER

i got a 3" lift and

i say

go with 31. you WILL kick yourself later on for only going with 30

cause i kicked myself

if ur not heavy footed and accelerate at a moderate speed. your gas won't change too bad.

infact my gas milage went up a little since i drive mostly highway.

basically..... NO

i have 30's and it's my daily driver.. no problems

HOWEVER

i got a 3" lift and

i say

cause i kicked myself

if ur not heavy footed and accelerate at a moderate speed. your gas won't change too bad.

infact my gas milage went up a little since i drive mostly highway.

Giddy up

If you can mount 12.5 inch wide 33's on an 8" rim, then a 6" rim should handle a set of 10.5 inch wide 31's, right?

Your gas mileage will suffer slightly due to increased rolling mass, greater friction from a wider contact patch, aerodynamic loss because of the higher stance, yadda yadda yadda. But you won't care... 'cause it'll look badass. :aok:

If you can mount 12.5 inch wide 33's on an 8" rim, then a 6" rim should handle a set of 10.5 inch wide 31's, right?

Your gas mileage will suffer slightly due to increased rolling mass, greater friction from a wider contact patch, aerodynamic loss because of the higher stance, yadda yadda yadda. But you won't care... 'cause it'll look badass. :aok:

Well I have vested my faith in the members of this forum. Looks like I'll be rolling around on 31x10.5's after this weekend. Oh boy...let the fun begin. Now I just need torrential down pours so this new trail I just found gets nice and mucky.

where's the trail at dont bogart it all do yourself :P

In Lombard/Addison. I found a few spots that might be fun. Have to do a lil more scouting, but if you wanna check em out with me I'm game. Hit me up on AIM or somethin.

JMiller0519. If you don't see me on I'm either at work or invisible, so give it a try. It would be nice to go wheelin with someone who appreciates Nissan like I do.